above, the Ingersoll Merchant Bank, corner of Thames & Charles Streets – circa 1915
The former Ingersoll Public Library, pictured at right.
Photograph courtesy of Mr. George Wood
above, a view of Thames Street, looking north, depicting the Traders Bank straight ahead. The Imperial Bank of Canada is pictured in part, on the left.
above, another postcard view of The Traders Bank
THE TRADERS BANKS
The Ingersoll branch of the Traders’ Bank was instituted in 1887 by taking over the business of the Bank of London, of which Charles Simpson was local manager. He continued in that capacity with the Traders Bank till he was succeeded by Mr. A. B. Ord in 1890. The largely increased business done by the local branch under the popular and efficient management of Mr. Ord has necessitated an increase in the staff to seven, double what it was, and although spacious and well furnished offices in the Norsworthy block are occupied it was deemed expedient to erect a magnificent new building on the northwest corner of Thames and King Streets at a cost of about $27,000. H. C. McBride, of London, is the architect, and Nagle & Mills the contractors.
This handsome structure is built of white pressed brick and Ohio sandstone.
The main entrance on the rounded corner is a beautiful specimen of carved stonework, with curved plate glass door panels, oak woodwork and brass mountings. The building is two stories high, with a frontage on Thames Street of 62 feet, and on King Street of 62 feet. On the ground floor the banking
offices are located, now nearly ready for occupancy. West of that will be R. T. Agar’s insurance office, and north on the Thames Street side is a fine new store. The basement is used for a vault, furnace, storage, etc. On the second floor over On the second floor over the bank an elegant suite of rooms is
occupied by G. F. Moore, dentist, and another, fine room adjoining these
will be fitted up for a lodge room or club room.
above, The Royal Bank of Canada at the corner of Thames & King Streets, looking north — located in the former Traders Bank building