above, King Street, looking west from the area of Duke Street, circa 1925
Trinity United Church pictured on the right.
Photograph courtesy of Mr. George Wood
above, An historic postcard showing King Street looking west from Thames Street. The Norsworthy building and Town Hall pictured on the right
above, King Street looking west from Thames Street. The Norsworthy building and Town Hall pictured on the right, the King Street/Mason/Maitland Theatre on the left.
The Maitland Theatre had its birth in the early nineteen hundreds. Constructed of steel and concrete, it was first intended as a furniture store, but with the rising popularity of the moving picture, it was made over to accommodate audiences, thrilling to the sight of the project image. George Mason, was the enterprising person who felt that there was a place in town for silent film. He kept the business going until 1921 when it was purchased by the Maitland’s. The Maitlands continued it as an enterprising business. The entire theatre was renovated in 1930 with the advent of the talkies. Some $30,000. was invested to redesign the interior of the theatre to accommodate the new miracle.
excerpt from Ingersoll: our heritage by Harry Whitwell
above, King Street looking west from Thames Street. The Royal Bank of Canada pictured on the right.