formerly at the corner of Thames & Charles Streets – circa 1900
The Post Office, the first to be established in the county was called the “Oxford Post Office”, North East comer of King and Water Streets. It was established on January 6, 1821 with Charles Ingersoll as the Postmaster. James Ingersoll became Postmaster in 1832 and held that position until 1847, when Daniel Phelan took over. During the early days of Ingersoll, the Post Office had various locations. At one nine, it was in the Ingersoll store, on the northeast corner of Thames and King Streets. It was also located near the market on King Street. It finally found a more permanent location near the corner of Thames and King Streets, being in the second building on the southeast corner. While located in this building, Joseph Gibson was appointed Postmaster. His appointment being on October 2, 1882. With the increase in factories in the town, a large postal business was built up and the Dominion Government deeded to erect a Post Office and Customs Building. The site selected was the southwest corner of Thames and Charles Streets. This site had been vacant since the burning of the Royal Exchange Hotel in 1872. The new building was started in 1898 and in October of 1899 was ready for occupancy. It was a beautiful building of three storeys, of terra cotta brick, faced with stone and surmounted by a clock tower. After approximately 50 years, Joseph Gibson was succeeded by his son, Samuel, who had been deputy postmaster for almost 5 years. He resigned in 1949. Robert Wark then became the postmaster. This building was demolished in the early 1960s. During 1960 and 1961, a new Federal Building was erected on Charles Street W., on the north side and contains the Post Office, Customs Office and Unemployment Office.
above excerpt from, Ingersoll : our heritage by Harry Whitwell
A photograph of the post office by Grace Gregory in 1952
A photograph depicting the post office being torn down in the early 1960s