above, Historic postcards, circa 1940s
above, In 1818, a gristmill was built on Mill Street. This mill was driven by water-power. The pond which supplied this power to the water wheel was known as Partlo’s Pond (now Memorial Park). This mill was destroyed by fire in 1895 but was quickly rebuilt under the ownership of William Partlo, who modernized the mill with new machinery. He used steam power in place of water power. It had a capacity of 150 barrels of flour per day. At this time it became known as City Roller Mills. William Partlo lived across the street from the mill. This mill burned in 1938.
excerpt from Ingersoll: our heritage by Harry Whitwell
Wonham Street Gardens
above, an historic postcard depicting Rock Garden, Wonham Street South- circa 1940
Postcard courtesy of Mr. George Wood
Cold Storage Ice Harvesting on Smith’s Pond
Years ago, the cold spell marked the opening of the ice cutting season at Smith’s Pond. A large supply of ice was cut for the central storage, on which the town was dependent during the heat of the summer, for the ice-boxes of the town. Groups of workers gathered on the large expanse of ice. Some marked out the area in squares, others to do the cutting with long double handled saws, so that all blocks would be of uniform size. The blocks were pulled by horses along an open sluice cut on the ice and hauled up the wooden ramp to the Ice House itself. Then each layer was covered with sawdust. Other workers floated cakes of ice by means of a long pole, through open channels, then loaded the blocks on to a platform. The drivers of teams waited their turn to be loaded. As soon as the sleigh was ready, they hurried away to storage quarters. Sometimes a worker slipped into an open channel and frantic efforts were made to effect his rescue. Much of the early supply of ice, went to the Ingersoll Packing Co., and at the C.P.R. Freight Sheds, where large stocks of cheese were stored for export market. In some respects, ice harvesting depended on the weather, the colder, the better. Finally refrigerators took the place of ice-boxes.
excerpt above from Ingersoll: our heritage by Harry Whitwell