A postcard depicting churches of Ingersoll.
Charles Street Church
An Episcopal Methodist Church known as the Charles Street Church stood on the north side of the street, west of the armories. It was built in 1857.
A small white frame church proceeded this church. The Charles Street Congregation joined the King Street church in 1903. There was a parsonage on the westside of the church and a cemetery on the rear of the parsonage lot. After the closing of this church the trustees placed an advertisement in the press asking all who had relatives buried in the cemetery to remove the bodies to the Ingersoll Rural Cemetery. A few were moved but most of the remains were dug up and placed in a common grave near the Canadian Pacific Railway trunk. The church was sold to a local resident who had it demolished. The bricks were used for a couple of cottages, east of the armories and also for a store and an apartment building on Thames Street.
Sacred Heart Catholic Church
above, a photograph depicting Sacred Heart Church, and to the left, the rectory, now demolished
above, a postcard picturing Sacred Heart Church located on Thames Street North at the corner of Bell Street
In 1847, John Carnegie, a Scotch Presbyterian, donated a lot in his survey for a site for a Roman Catholic Church on the west-side of John Street between Bell and Victoria Streets. On this lot a frame church was erected at a cost of $2,000. This structure was used for worship until a brick church was built in 1879.
Saint Paul’s Presbyterian Church
After the union of St. Andrew’s and Knox churches in 1889, the congregation grew considerable. Rev. Hutt was ordained and inducted as first minister of the new St. Paul’s August 26, 1890. The seating capacity of the church was found to be inadequate and steps were taken to enlarge the building. An addition was made to the south side and a new pipe organ was installed.
Saint James Anglican Church
A new brick church was built in 1868. The site for the construction of the new church was decided by a flip of the coin. The church was built on the corner of Oxford and Frances Street. Old style construction was used and the walls were three bricks thick. The building was 81′ x 50′ with a tower extending 95′ high. The tower was later demolished and replaced with an 85′ structure in 1953. The bricks for the church were made at Hagel’s Comer. The Christopher Bros. were the contractors. The corner stone was placed by Bishop Cronyn and the church was given the name Saint James at this time.
above, a postcard depicting Saint James Anglican Church
above, The Baptist Tabernacle constructed in 1899
above, an historic postcard depicting the Ingersoll Baptist Tabernacle
below, an excerpt from the Ingersoll Daily Chronicle, May 19, 1898, describing a devastating fire of the Baptist church constructed in 1890
The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army came into Ingersoll in 1885. Previous to the erection of a Barracks, worship was carried on in a house on Charles Street. The Army in Ingersoll in its early days had a good band and held meetings on the street corners on Saturday nights. The mother of Aimee Semple McPherson played in the band.
Ingersoll Corps Songster Brigade, 1931
Back Row: W. G. Rodwell, George Rodwell, R. A. Garland, B. Pilkerton, H. Smith, S. Pittock
Middle Row: Leta Garland, Plyna Purdy, Olive Diggs, Mrs. P. Groom, Mrs. R. Parrow, Mrs. W. G. Rodwell, Mabel Morrison
Front Row: Mrs. R. Wilson, Mrs. Ensign Morrison, A. H. Edmonds, Ensign W. Morrison, Mrs. A. Routledge, Mrs. F. J. Appleby
Trinity United Church
King Street Wesleyan Methodist Church
The King Street Wesleyan Methodist Church, located on the north west corner of King and Church Streets was built in 1865. It was known as the “two tower church”. Later, after a union with another parish, it bore the name Trinity United Church. There was a parsonage in connection with this church on the north end of Duke Street, which was built in 1874. In 1890, extensive changes were made to the interior of the church. The original had extending galleries on three sides. In 1906, the galleries were removed, the floor was elevated from the rear and a new front entrance was added. A new parsonage was built in 1909 on King Street, opposite the south entrance to Duke Street. This building was of red brick construction and had a modern appearance. In 1946, organ chimes were donated to the church by Charles Wilson. In 1958, the Trinity United Church erected a Sunday School building on Alma Street. This building was for the use of the children on the north side of the river. At the rear of the church was a shed for horses. It had been in use for 98 years when it was demolished to make room for the Christian Education Centre.
all historical excerpts are from Ingersoll: our heritage by Harry Whitwell